Moncton advances to semifinals after 3-1 Game 3 win over Dalhousie

Photo by Trevor MacMillan
Photo by Trevor MacMillan

(HALIFAX, N.S.) In Game 3 of the best-of-three series the Dalhousie Tigers hosted the Moncton Aigles Bleues to fight for a spot in the next round of the playoffs. 

Special teams made the difference in this one with Moncton picking up two power play goals and came away with the 3-1 win and 2-1 series victory.  

It was a chippy start to the game, with no real scoring chances coming for either side in the first half of the period.  

The Aigles Bleues got the first threatening chance of the game when Marie-Pier Corriveau (Magog, Que.) was able to spring past the two Tigers defenders and found herself on the attack against Fabianna Petricca (Woodbridge, Ont.) all alone. Corriveau squared up to take a quick shot, but Petricca was able to get in front and make it look routine.  

Special teams were key in the first period with four penalties being taken between the two teams, but the penalty kill was getting the job done on both sides in the first period.  

The Tigers put together a few chances in the final seconds, but neither team was able to find the back of the net in the first period as they went into the break scoreless.  

Special teams continued to play a big role in the early minutes of the second period with the Tigers finding themselves with six minutes of power play time in the first ten minutes of the period, but again were unable to solve Gabrielle D. Forget (Joliette, Que.).  

Danika Phillips (Barrie, Ont.) came close on a hard shot from the point that beat Forget, but couldn't beat the post.  

The Aigles Bleues found themselves on a 5 on 3 advantage for nearly two full minutes midway through the period, and they were finally able to capitalize. The puck worked around the Tigers zone after a faceoff and found its way to Janelle Graham (Dieppe, N.B.) in the high slot and her shot snuck just under the blocker of Petricca to open the scoring at 1-0.  

The Tigers finished the last two minutes of the period on the power play with some nice chances, but still couldn't beat Forget as there was just the lone goal in the period. Moncton headed into the third period with a 1-0 lead.  

Once again on the power play, the Aigles Bleues were able to find the back of the net. With some great spacing and puck movement, the Dalhousie penalty kill was spread thin and Janelle Graham found the puck at the side of the net and had plenty of time to hammer it home for her second of the game. Moncton held a 2-0 lead with 15 minutes to go.  

The visitors put together a long stretch of pressure in the attacking end, putting plenty of shots toward Petricca, who was doing her best to keep the Tigers in it. The Aigles Bleues were able to find their third goal on the possession however when Katryne Villeneuve (Casselman, Ont.) walked out from the corner and wired a shot over the blocker-side shoulder of Petricca to give her team a commanding 3-0 lead with nine minutes left.  

Down big with only three minutes left, the Tigers pulled their goalie for an extra attacker while on the power play for a 6-on-4 advantage and were finally able to find a goal as time was running out.  

The puck worked around the zone and Danika Phillips fired a shot on goal that was stopped, but the puck hopped out to Tara Morning (Aurora, Ont.) who was able to jam the puck home through a scrum to bring the Tigers within two.  

It was too little too late for the Tigers however as time ran out and the Aigles Bleues took the 3-1 win in the game, and move on to the next round with a 2-1 win in the series. 

Janelle Graham was named the Subway Player of the Game, picking up two goals, including the eventual game winner.

Source: Kirk Jessome for Dalhousie Athletics

View: Mobile | Desktop