Huskies finish in second place to earn playoffs bye

Huskies finish in second place to earn playoffs bye

(HALIFAX, N.S.) The Saint Mary's Huskies extended their winning streak to three games with a 102-84 victory Friday and a 97-84 win Saturday over the visiting Memorial Sea-Hawks in AUS men's basketball action at the Homburg Centre.

In Friday evening's game, the Huskies outscored the Sea-Hawks 30-12 in the second quarter en route for the win.

Theon Reefer paced the Huskies with 18 points and pulled down six rebounds while Harry Ezenibe had 12 points and eight rebounds.

Riley Halpin and Leonard Riley also scored in double figures for Saint Mary's with 11 points each and Boyd Vassell added 10 points and four assists.

Both teams shot the ball well in the first 10 minutes of play with the Huskies using a 10-0 run to take a 19-10 lead with 4:23 left in the frame.

A 12-3 Memorial run tied the game up at 22-22 with 99 seconds left in the quarter before both teams traded buckets to end the quarter tied, 24-24.

Saint Mary's threw 30 points up in the second quarter and led 54-36 going into the locker room at half time.

The third quarter saw the Huskies extend their lead to 23 points, with an 80-57 advantage.

Memorial fought back in the fourth quarter, outscoring Saint Mary's 27-22 in the frame.

Caleb Gould and Vasilije Curcic had 22 and 21 points respectively for the Sea-Hawks while pulling down 11 rebounds each.

Davion Parnsalu also added 18 points in the loss for Memorial.

The Huskies out-rebounded the Sea-Hawks 43-39.

Both Brian Rouse and Jeremy McAvoy had eight points while Terrence Taylor had seven points for Saint Mary's.

Also scoring for Saint Mary's were Marquis Clayton with six points, Ryan Augustine and Travis Adams with four points each and Mitch Harrison with three points.

In game two Saturday afternoon, Saint Mary's Theon Reefer had a team-high 19 points, seven rebounds and eight assists in the win.

The Huskies drained four three-pointers in the first quarter and use that momentum to build a 25-16 lead after 10 minutes.

Both teams went cold in the second quarter and it was almost a full three minutes before the first points were scored and Saint Mary's took a 47-31 halftime lead.

Memorial battled back in the second half and outscored the Huskies 53-50 over the last 20 minutes.

The third quarter saw both teams even at 21-21, good for a 68-52 Saint Mary's lead.

Memorial outscored Saint Mary's 32-29 in a wild fourth quarter and the Huskies held on for the 13-point win, 97-84.

Davion Parnsalu had a game-high 21 points along with eight rebounds for the Sea-Hawks who end their season with a 4-16 record.

Jacob Ranton had 18 points and seven rebounds in the Memorial loss.

Scoring for Saint Mary's on the afternoon were Brian Rouse with 15 points, Leonard Riley and Marquis Clayton with 12 points each and Harry Ezenibe who posted a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

The Huskies' Boyd Vassell had nine points while Ryan Augustine had eight points. Riley Halpin and Travis Adams rounded out the Saint Mary's scoring with six points apiece.

With the win, the Huskies finish second in the AUS regular season standings with a 14-6 record. They will enjoy a first-round bye at the 2014 Subway AUS men's basketball championship, which will be hosted by the AUS office at the Halifax Metro Centre, Feb. 28-March 2.

Source: Saint Mary's Sports Information

Subway Nova Scotia Bell Aliant FibreOp TV1 CTV Budweiser
Westmont Hospitality Group Reebok-CCM Subway Nova Scotia Bell Aliant FibreOp TV1

View: Mobile | Desktop